Liver cake is always a favourite with Mina, Stevie & Jasper, but it's not for the squeamish and isn't suitable for use when training puppies ( need to be careful with the vitamin A content). So, Ive had a go at fish alternative...Sardine Squares which you can make it in the microwave or oven.
For speed, I thought I'd try it in the microwave - experimenting with optimum cooking times. The results were great and were definitely appreciated by the hounds. I also tried it on the puppies in my Puppy School classes and it went down a treat!
If you'd like to have a go, here's the recipe:
2 x tins of sardines in oil (tins are around 85gm)
2 x eggs
300gm rice flour
2 cloves of crushed fresh garlic (optional)
Teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
1. Whizz sardines and garlic in food processor
2. Add eggs, flour and whizz until mixture comes together
3. Add water and chopped parsley
4. Whizz in processor until mixture is a medium dropping consistency
5. Transfer to greased and lined baking tin (if baking in traditional oven)
6. Bake for around 20-25 minutes at 180C (Gas Mark 4) until firm.
7. If baking in microwave, transfer to a greased (I used 3 plastic containers) container
8. Microwave on full power for 4½ minutes (based on 1000 W oven)
9. Allow to cool, turn out and cut into small squares
10. Keep in airtight container in fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Mina seemed to love it too and did very well keeping her nose out of temptation's way... that's what I call Impulse Control!
|"Aww, Mum please can I have a sardine square?"|
If you try the recipe do let me know how you get on, or share your dog's favourite training treats and leave a comment.